Allow us to walk you through the Oldest city of India by taking you through its beautiful hidden alleys and colorful markets talking about the historical turn of events, the lives and times of the generations of the locals dwelling in the narrow streets and bylanes of the Old city with our slow-paced carefully curated heritage walk. Learn in detail about this spiritual capital of India with its captivating places of worship like the ancient mosque, ghats and the pious river Ganga. Our expert guides will share their research and knowledge about the history and legends related to the inception of river Ganga and many other stories that date back to the medieval era and are related to the Hindu religion. Enjoy the famous boat ride of the city admiring the sunrise at Assi Ghat. Giving a treat to your taste-buds, we bring you one of the most authentic tastes of the city which is Kachauri Sabzi from the most famous Ram Bhandar.
Approx by walk
- Manikarnika Ghat
- Nepali Temple
- Vishalakshi Temple
- Boat ride till Dashashwamedh Ghat #
- Witness Ganga Aarti (Ceremony)
- Shri Kashi Vishwanath Temple (ending point)
- English speaking guide as tour leader
- History overview and explanation of interesting sites
- Sharing of pictures taken by tour leaders
- Street food tasting, Boat ride fare included in the evening version
- Goods and Services Tax (GST) at 5%
What to expect
To start our tour to the city of lanes, we will meet at the common assembly point at the Assi Ghat which is ideally the 80th Ghat, 10 min before the start time. We will start our tour once all the guests have arrived. After basic instructions and introduction from our tour leader, we will start our amazing morning and ride off to explore the Oldest City of India - Varanasi alias Banaras.
Being in a city that is famous for its Ghats, we will kick-start our tour by roaming at the Assi Ghat and knowing about the stories behind its name and the importance. In total, Banaras has 84 Ghats and this being the 80th ghat of the city has some major attractions especially during the early morning.
As the favorite and the most awaited part of the tour, our destination next will be a mingling of spiritual and cultural activity of cruising along the river Ganges in the company of your expert guide, who will share the informative information about Hindu mythology. From here, you can have a magnificent view of the Ghats while reaching to the ancient mosque.
Alamgir mosque which is believed to be built just outside a temple will be our next destination. It is a religious place that is built on the highest point of Varanasi. The highlight of the mosque is its architecture which is believed to be an amalgamation of Islamic and Hindu architecture. The importance of the Panchaganga Ghat on which this mosque is built will also be shared with the travelers.
Moving ahead from this ghat, we will explore some narrow lanes of the city and move towards one of the most famous eating joints of the city - Ram Bhandar. Giving a taste of the city to your taste-buds we will here try the authentic Kachori Sabzi or the Poori Sabzi as our morning breakfast.
Moving towards covering the religious spots of the city, our next stop will be at one of the holiest ghats of Banaras, the Manikarnika Ghat which is named after Maharani Lakshmibai of Jhansi, who was born here. Largely people believe it to be the Burning Ghat, so we will learn about the stories behind the same.
Being the religious capital of India, there is an importance of every ghat and every spot of the city. So our next activity would be to take a stroll along the ghats and take a view of the scenic beauty of river Ganges amidst sunrise.
From Dashashwamedha Ghat, we will move on to the Kashi Vishwanath Temple. It is believed that the gold was also donated here by Maharaja Ranjit Singh Ji. The beauty of the temple will mesmerize you to no limits. This would be the place where we will bid farewell to our group members and tour leaders and take back this overwhelming memory with us.
To start our tour to the oldest city of India, we will meet at the common assembly point at the Gadowlia Chowk which is ideally one of the busiest chowk of the city, 10 min before the start time. We will start our tour once all the guests have arrived. After basic instructions and introduction from our tour leader, we will start our amazing morning and ride off to explore the City of Ghats and Temples - Varanasi alias Banaras.
It is believed that to start any new thing it is always good to have some sweet. So as we are going to start our interaction with this city along with our new guest, we would first head towards sipping the authentic delight of the city which is Lassi. Yes, even Banaras has a famous lassi shop which is operating for past generations and is famously called Blue Lassi Shop, being blue in color. Taste the various flavors of lassi and you may also learn how they prepare it in their kitchen.
Moving towards starting our exploration with the ghats of the city, we will first explore the holiest ghats of Banaras, the Manikarnika Ghat which is named after Maharani Lakshmibai of Jhansi, who was born here. Largely people believe it to be the Burning Ghat, so we will learn about the stories of birth and death related to this ghat.
We have all heard about the Pashupatinath Temple in Kathmandu and many of us wanted to see a glimpse of it. So here in Varanasi, we will take you to the Pashupatinath Temple or the Nepali Temple which has an importance of its own.
Being in a city that is famous for its Ghats, we will take a stroll by roaming through the ghats and knowing more about the city and the facts related to it. In total, Banaras has 84 Ghats and sipping the hot tea, we will take a view of the scenic beauty of river Ganges amidst sunset. We will cover a few of its major ghats to head towards our next destination which is the Dashashwamedha Ghat.
As the favorite and the most awaited part of the tour, our destination next will be to witness the Ganga Aarti - an experience which has so much divinity attached to it. You may watch this Aarti seating on your seats at the ghat or while cruising in the boat in the company of your expert guide, who will share the informative information about Hindu mythology.
After Ganga Aarti, it would be time to know more about the city and the old market - it means to know about the true heritage which is defined in its narrow lanes and old markets. So strolling through the same, we would come across certain souvenirs, old temples and the old area of the city which is called the vegetable markets.
Now would be the time when our stomach needs some feast as well. So reaching our last destination, we would be giving the delight od the city to our taste-buds with some chaat from the famous Kashi Chaat Bhandar.
Now would be the time to bid adieu to each other so taking our steps forward we will now reach the spot from where we have started the tour i.e. the Gadowlia chowk amidst a round of questions and answers with you to give you a sense of satisfaction. This would be the place where we will bid farewell to our group members and tour leaders and take back this overwhelming memory with us.
Private/Custom tour option
This tour is also available for reservation as a private or custom tour with a similar or modified itinerary, desired start time and duration. Contact us directly with your requirements.
Clothes and accessories
It is recommended to wear comfortable t-shirts, pants, and shoes. Clothes covering full arms and legs are recommended as they are mandatory to enter some of the religious places. During winters, it is also recommended to carry a warm jacket and hand gloves.
Avoid bringing heavy backpacks, camera bags, expensive clothes, and accessories on this tour. Avoid slippers or sandals and loose outfits as it may hinder the walking experience since the roads may not be even or smooth and clean.
- It is important to contact (call or WhatsApp) your tour leader 5 min before the tour starts if you cannot locate the assemble place. If in case you are going to be late to reach the assemble place, please contact your tour leader immediately
- Please check the assemble place of your tour carefully. Some of our tours do not start at our hostel. In case you are staying at the hostel, you must gather in the common area at least 20 min before the tour starts so that we can arrange the transportation to the assemble place
- Please be informed that since some of the tours don’t start from our hostel or may have external dependencies such as cab vendors, there may arise the chances of the tour starting late. We usually take a buffer of 15 minutes and catch up for the loss of time in such cases during the tour
- Tours in other languages may be offered upon request
- Adult pricing applies to all travelers
- Recommended not to bring anything heavy with you for a smoother and enjoyable tour. However, you may bring your phones, pocket cameras and some money (in case you would like to buy something on the way)
- Recommended to leave all other personal belongings at your current place of stay
- Operates in all weather conditions except rains. If canceled due to poor weather, you will be given the option of an alternative date or full refund
- Please note that the street food and meals may not conform to recommended national or international standards of hygiene
- Please advise any specific requirements at the time of booking. eg, allergies in food items, etc.
- Recommended to use the toilets before joining for the tour
- Required to accept the conditions mentioned in the WAIVER AND RELEASE OF CLAIM page
- Also known as
- Varanasi Boat Tour
All our tours are undertaken on the responsibility of its participants. City On Pedals does not assume any responsibility for accidents that are caused by its customers or can be traced to their own actions. Participants have to agree to the terms mentioned in our WAIVER AND RELEASE OF CLAIMS page before undertaking all trips which means that they realize that all activities carry an inherent risk.