Allow us to walk you through the Oldest city of India by taking you through its beautiful hidden alleys and colorful markets talking about the historical turn of events, the lives and times of the generations of the locals dwelling in the narrow streets and bylanes of the Old city with our slow-paced carefully curated heritage walk. Learn in detail about this spiritual capital of India with its captivating places of worship like the ancient temples, ghats and the pious river Ganga. Our expert guides will share their research and knowledge about the history and legends related to the inception of river Ganga and many other stories that date back to the medieval era and are related to the Hindu religion. You may also enjoy the famous boat ride of the city admiring the sunset at various Ghats. Giving a treat to your taste-buds, we bring some of the famous delicacies of the city like blue lassi and scrumptious thali from the most famous Keshari restaurant.
Approx by walk
- Manikarnika Ghat
- Nepali Temple
- Vishalakshi Temple
- Boat ride till Dashashwamedh Ghat #
- Witness Ganga Aarti (Ceremony)
- Shri Kashi Vishwanath Temple (ending point)
- English speaking guide as tour leader
- History overview and explanation of interesting sites
- Sharing of pictures taken by tour leaders
- Street food tasting, Boat ride fare included in the evening version
- Goods and Services Tax (GST) at 5%
What to expect
To start our tour to the city of lanes, we will meet at the common assembly point at the Kachori Gali outside Blue Lassi Shop from 10 min before the start time. We will start our tour once all the guests have arrived. After basic instructions and introduction from our tour leader, we will start our amazing morning and ride off to explore the Oldest City of India - Varanasi alias Banaras.
We will kick-start our tour with some amazing varieties of Lassi starting from Banana Lassi to Banana Chocolate Lassi to mixed fruit Lassi. Get to know about the peculiar way of making this mouth-watery delicacy and its blend with other flavors.
Moving ahead we will stroll through Guru Bazaar, a market where you can find all the stuff related to Punjabi weddings, here we will stop by the shop of Itter (Essence) and will feel the fragrance of hand made perfumes and incense sticks.
Moving towards covering the religious spots of the city, our first stop will be at one of the holiest ghats of Banaras, the Manikarnika Ghat which is named after Maharani Lakshmibai of Jhansi, who was born here. Largely people believe it to be the Burning Ghat, so we will learn about the stories behind the same.
The Pashupatinath Temple in Varanasi will be our next destination which is a replica of the Nepalese Temple in the city. Built by King of Nepal, Rana Bahadur Shah when he took exile in Varanasi from 1800 to 1804 and titled himself as "Swami Nirgunanda”, the temple is constructed in the Nepali style of architecture and is surrounded by tamarind and ficus trees.
Taking our next step towards the Meer Ghat we will witness the beauty and learn about the stories behind Vishalakshi Temple and its religious importance. Our tour guides will guide you about the ceremonies that take place in the sacred river Gages and if in case you want, one can have a bath in the holy Ganges.
From here we will move from the ghats towards the Prayag Ghat and will take a stroll to the colorful markets of the city especially the silk bazaars, jewelry markets, and will also wander through the areas where the sculptures are made.
As the favorite and the most awaited part of the tour, our destination next will be a mingling of spiritual and cultural activity of cruising along the river Ganges in the company of your guide, who will share the informative information about Hindu mythology. From the water, you can view the magnificent view of Ganga Aarti along with the sunset.
Heading towards our final destination, we will be giving a good treat to our taste-buds by reaching to the famous Keshari restaurant for some snack or scrumptious food. This would be the place where we will bid farewell to our group members and tour leaders and take back this overwhelming memory with us.
Private/Custom tour option
This tour is also available for reservation as a private or custom tour with a similar or modified itinerary, desired start time and duration. Contact us directly with your requirements.
Clothes and accessories
It is recommended to wear comfortable t-shirts, pants, and shoes. Clothes covering full arms and legs are recommended as they are mandatory to enter some of the religious places. During winters, it is also recommended to carry a warm jacket and hand gloves.
Avoid bringing heavy backpacks, camera bags, expensive clothes, and accessories on this tour. Avoid slippers or sandals and loose outfits as it may hinder the walking experience since the roads may not be even or smooth and clean.
- It is important to contact (call or WhatsApp) your tour leader 5 min before the tour starts if you cannot locate the assemble place. If in case you are going to be late to reach the assemble place, please contact your tour leader immediately
- Please check the assemble place of your tour carefully. Some of our tours do not start at our hostel. In case you are staying at the hostel, you must gather in the common area at least 20 min before the tour starts so that we can arrange the transportation to the assemble place
- Please be informed that since some of the tours don’t start from our hostel or may have external dependencies such as cab vendors, there may arise the chances of the tour starting late. We usually take a buffer of 15 minutes and catch up for the loss of time in such cases during the tour
- Tours in other languages may be offered upon request
- Adult pricing applies to all travelers
- Recommended not to bring anything heavy with you for a smoother and enjoyable tour. However, you may bring your phones, pocket cameras and some money (in case you would like to buy something on the way)
- Recommended to leave all other personal belongings at your current place of stay
- Operates in all weather conditions except rains. If canceled due to poor weather, you will be given the option of an alternative date or full refund
- Please note that the street food and meals may not conform to recommended national or international standards of hygiene
- Please advise any specific requirements at the time of booking. eg, allergies in food items, etc.
- Recommended to use the toilets before joining for the tour
- Required to accept the conditions mentioned in the WAIVER AND RELEASE OF CLAIM page
- Also known as
- Varanasi Boat Tour
- Varanasi Half Day Tour
All our tours are undertaken on the responsibility of its participants. City On Pedals does not assume any responsibility for accidents that are caused by its customers or can be traced to their own actions. Participants have to agree to the terms mentioned in our WAIVER AND RELEASE OF CLAIMS page before undertaking all trips which means that they realize that all activities carry an inherent risk.