Get the true essence of how a Punjabi traditional lifestyle today looks like by visiting a nearby local Amritsar village close to the India-Pakistan border. Inspiring as well as educating, this village tour offers a fascinating opportunity to know the innocent way of living and the warmth of the local people, thus giving a whole new perspective to discovering the real Punjab.
Learn many things about the lives and times of the people of the village directly from them. Get a chance to help them out in their daily chores such as milking their cows, plowing their fields over a tractor ride, preparing rotis on a traditional clay oven – chulha, preparing fodder and feeding their livestock, picking fruits and cutting vegetables from their own farms. Get into their attire by wearing a turban or pagri, dancing the bhangra in their group and take some amazing pictures together. Enjoy a delicious breakfast in a friendly village family house which is prepared from homegrown vegetables, oils and is as fresh as it can be.
Our village tour starts early in the morning to take a ride to the nearby farm and enjoy the beautiful sunrise in the fields. This slow-paced tour is suitable for travelers of all age. The activities chosen are very simple and can be carried out even by kids with the supervision of our guides and our friendly village people. The tour is also great for those who seek a deeper understanding of agriculture in Punjab – season of cultivation and collection of products such as wheat and paddy and know more about their utilization of the natural resources.
Daily, all year round
Also, 11:00 am Daily - all year, except major holidays
Approx by walk
- Ram Bagh Gate (Starting Point)
- Visiting a local village near Amritsar
- Sneak peek into a local village house and interaction with their family
- Carry out some of their daily chores such as milking cows, feeding their livestock and preparing roti on a traditional clay oven
- Tractor ride while plowing the fields
- Getting into a local attire by wearing a pagri or turban and sometimes a Punjabi suit
- Opportunity to pick vegetables
- A sumptuous traditional breakfast with our friendly local village family
- Drive from the assemble place to the nearby village and back
- Guided village tour with friendly English speaking tour guide aka storyteller who is also sometimes accompanied by a local village resident
- Refreshments like tea, lemon water and snacks
- A traditional sumptuous breakfast in a local village family house
- Sharing of pictures taken by tour leaders
- Goods and Services Tax (GST) at 5%
What to expect
We will meet at the common assembly point at Ram Bagh Gate inside the old city from 10 min before the start time. We will start our tour once all the guests have joined. After some basic introductions and instructions from our tour leader, we will first move ahead to this hidden gem of Amritsar that echoes the stories of our glorious past.
Exploring Ram Bagh would be an apt choice for this particular tour because the place inherits some of the antique things like Phulkari, the old traditional utensils, which you would also get to see in this village of Amritsar.
Now will be the time when we will head towards the ancient monument called Pul Kanjari which is just around 100 m from the India Pakistan border. We will visit a small ancient structure called the Baradari which was burned down during the India-Pakistan war of 1971. We will also pass near the last Indian Army post before the India-Pakistan border. We will also get to visit a small war memorial that was built after the 1971 war.
We will then move to our friendly village home where we will enjoy an early morning tea and some snacks before we visit some of the other houses in the neighborhood. During our casual stroll, we will get to perform various village activities such as cooking on a Chulha - a traditional clay oven, learn more about the gobar gas plant, spend time observing the families’ livestock and milk their cows. If we are lucky, we will also get to ride a tractor in the nearby farm.
We will then head back to our friendly family house and have our traditional homemade Punjabi breakfast. If time permits, we will also get to try some traditional attire such as turban & phulkari and take some beautiful pictures with the host family. After sharing this memorable time, we will bid farewell to our new friends and return back to our starting point. This will be the location from where we would take a leave from our guests taking the fond memories of the tour along.
Private/Custom tour option
This tour is also available for reservation as a private or custom tour with a similar or modified itinerary, desired start time and duration. Contact us directly with your requirements.
Clothes and accessories
It is recommended to wear comfortable t-shirts, pants, and shoes. Clothes covering full arms and legs are recommended as they are mandatory to enter some of the religious places. During winters, it is also recommended to carry a warm jacket and hand gloves.
Avoid bringing heavy backpacks, camera bags, expensive clothes, and accessories on this tour. Avoid slippers or sandals and loose outfits as it may hinder the walking experience since the roads may not be even or smooth and clean.
- It is important to contact (call or WhatsApp) your tour leader 5 min before the tour starts if you cannot locate the assemble place. If in case you are going to be late to reach the assemble place, please contact your tour leader immediately
- Please check the assemble place of your tour carefully. Some of our tours do not start at our hostel. In case you are staying at the hostel, you must gather in the common area at least 20 min before the tour starts so that we can arrange the transportation to the assemble place
- Please be informed that since some of the tours don’t start from our hostel or may have external dependencies such as cab vendors, there may arise the chances of the tour starting late. We usually take a buffer of 15 minutes and catch up for the loss of time in such cases during the tour
- Tours in other languages may be offered upon request
- Adult pricing applies to all travelers
- Recommended not to bring anything heavy with you for a smoother and enjoyable tour. However, you may bring your phones, pocket cameras and some money (in case you would like to buy something on the way)
- Recommended to leave all other personal belongings at your current place of stay
- Operates in all weather conditions except rains. If canceled due to poor weather, you will be given the option of an alternative date or full refund
- Please note that the street food and meals may not conform to recommended national or international standards of hygiene
- Please advise any specific requirements at the time of booking. eg, allergies in food items, etc.
- Recommended to use the toilets before joining for the tour
- Required to accept the conditions mentioned in the WAIVER AND RELEASE OF CLAIM page
All our tours are undertaken on the responsibility of its participants. City On Pedals does not assume any responsibility for accidents that are caused by its customers or can be traced to their own actions. Participants have to agree to the terms mentioned in our WAIVER AND RELEASE OF CLAIMS page before undertaking all trips which means that they realize that all activities carry an inherent risk.