Witness the blissful book opening ceremony, aka the Palki Sahib Ceremony during the Amrit Vele and get backstage access to the world’s largest community kitchen with our slow-paced guided walking tour inside the Golden Temple. Our expert and knowledgeable tour leader will navigate you through the crowd and ensure you're in the right place at the right time to experience the scheduled ceremonies, events and activities inside the holy shrine. Perform volunteer work and understand in detail the intriguing reasons behind customs like submitting shoes, cleaning hands and feet and covering the head before entering a gurdwara while learning about the various Sikh customs like wearing a turban and carrying a sword. Get know about the fascinating story of the healing powers of the undefiled Sarovar and the history behind Miri-Piri, the mighty swords. Although extremely popular amongst solo travelers, couples, and groups, the tour is also highly favored by the Sikh expat families who are looking forward to bringing their children closer to the rich values of the Sikh religion.
Daily, 17th Oct – 13th Mar
Approx by walk
- The Holy Book Opening Ceremony, aka Golden Palki Sahib Ceremony
- Backstage access to the world’s biggest community kitchen and the Langar Hall
- Witnessing and performing volunteer work such as food making and dishes cleaning
- Sri Akal Takht Sahib, Parikarma (encircling walkway), Watch Towers of Ramgarhia Bunga, Dukh Bhanjani Ber, the Ath Sath Tirath (68 holy places), Ber Buddha Ji
- Main entrance, clock tower and the holy sarovar (Pool of Nectar)
- English speaking guide as tour leader
- History overview and explanation of interesting sites inside the temple
- Sharing of pictures taken by tour leaders (within 4 weeks over a shared dropbox folder)
- Goods and Services Tax (GST) at 5%
What to expectWe will meet at the common assemble point in front of the Saragarhi Gurudwara, which is right next to the big statue of Maharaja Ranjit Singh from 5 min before the start time. Your friendly guide and tour leader will provide an introduction to what's into the tour and start the walk as soon as all participants have reached. Your expert guide will share their research and knowledge about the history of the Sikh religion, the foundation of Golden Temple, starting with the holy pond and then the formation of the city of Amritsar around it. We will also get to walk around the Golden Temple campus and learn about the various historically significant spots inside. We will also get a chance to go inside the Langar Hall and backstage into the largest community kitchen in the world where they will be starting to prepare food for the tens of thousands of pilgrims who will be visiting later in the day. We will also take some time to perform the volunteer work like making roti, stirring the pot with food and cleaning of the dishes.
Private/Custom tour option
This tour is also available for reservation as a private or custom tour with a similar or modified itinerary, desired start time and duration. Contact us directly with your requirements.
Clothes and accessories
It is recommended to wear comfortable t-shirts, pants, and shoes. Clothes covering full arms and legs are recommended as they are mandatory to enter some of the religious places. During winters, it is also recommended to carry a warm jacket and hand gloves.
Avoid bringing heavy backpacks, camera bags, expensive clothes, and accessories on this tour. Avoid slippers or sandals and loose outfits as it may hinder the walking experience since the roads may not be even or smooth and clean.
- It is important to contact (call or WhatsApp) your tour leader 5 min before the tour starts if you cannot locate the assemble place. If in case you are going to be late to reach the assemble place, please contact your tour leader immediately
- Please check the assemble place of your tour carefully. Some of our tours do not start at our hostel. In case you are staying at the hostel, you must gather in the common area at least 20 min before the tour starts so that we can arrange the transportation to the assemble place
- Please be informed that since some of the tours don’t start from our hostel or may have external dependencies such as cab vendors, there may arise the chances of the tour starting late. We usually take a buffer of 15 minutes and catch up for the loss of time in such cases during the tour
- Tours in other languages may be offered upon request
- Adult pricing applies to all travelers
- Recommended not to bring anything heavy with you for a smoother and enjoyable tour. However, you may bring your phones, pocket cameras and some money (in case you would like to buy something on the way)
- Recommended to leave all other personal belongings at your current place of stay
- Operates in all weather conditions except rains. If canceled due to poor weather, you will be given the option of an alternative date or full refund
- Please note that the street food and meals may not conform to recommended national or international standards of hygiene
- Please advise any specific requirements at the time of booking. eg, allergies in food items, etc.
- Recommended to use the toilets before joining for the tour
- Required to accept the conditions mentioned in the WAIVER AND RELEASE OF CLAIM page
All our tours are undertaken on the responsibility of its participants. City On Pedals does not assume any responsibility for accidents that are caused by its customers or can be traced to their own actions. Participants have to agree to the terms mentioned in our WAIVER AND RELEASE OF CLAIMS page before undertaking all trips which means that they realize that all activities carry an inherent risk.