Allow us to walk you through the historical turn of events, the lives and times of the generations of the locals dwelling in the narrow streets and bylanes of the Old Amritsar with our slow-paced, carefully curated heritage walk. Learn in detail about one of the most exuberant cities in Indian history that has gone through massive transformations, starting from it’s inception in the 16th century, through the Golden Era during the rule of Maharaja Ranjit Singh followed by the tragedy of the Partition of 1947 and then the 1984 Sikh Massacre and more, each one leaving their mark on the city. Our expert guides will share their research and knowledge about the history of the Sikh religion and some of the ancient battles fought by the rulers, the onset of the British Rule and its impact while we get a sneak peek into the lives of the locals. Also known as Amritsar Food Walk, we will get the opportunity to taste some of the most popular street food items like puri chhole, karah, lassi, and mouthwatering local sweets.
Daily, 17th Oct – 13th Mar
Approx by walk
- Town Hall aka the Partition Museum (starting point)
- Saragarhi Gurdwara
- Qila Ahluwalia - an ancient shopping district
- Ancient Passage (Bangle bazar)
- Darshan Deori (the hanging Gurdwara)
- Utensils Market (Bartan bazar)
- Baba Bohar
- Thakurdwara Dariana Mal
- Traditional Mud Wrestling Arena
- Sangalwala Akhara
- Tea export street
- Jalebiwala Chowk - a traditional Indian sweets crossing
- Golden Temple Heritage Street
- Mata Longawala Mandir
- English speaking guide as tour leader
- History overview and explanation of famous and interesting sites mentioned in the highlights
- Local street food tasting (up to 3-4 dishes)
- Traditional breakfast at a food joint highly popular amongst the locals
- Sharing of pictures taken by tour leaders (within 4 weeks over a shared dropbox folder)
- Goods and Services Tax (GST) at 5%
What to expectWe will meet at the common assemble point in front of the entrance door of the Partition Museum inside the Town Hall complex from 5 min before the start time. Your friendly guide and tour leader will provide an introduction to what's into the tour and start the walk as soon as all participants have reached. Your expert guide will share their research and knowledge about the history of the Sikh religion and some of the ancient battles fought by the rulers, the onset of the British Rule and its impact while we get a sneak peek into the lives of the locals. We will also visit some of the very old but forgotten temples and meditation centers whose inside premises never got to see any natural light. During this walk, we will also taste & learn about some of the traditional ways of preparing Amritsar’s most popular breakfast, street food, and sweets.
Private/Custom tour option
This tour is also available for reservation as a private or custom tour with a similar or modified itinerary, desired start time and duration. Contact us directly with your requirements.
Clothes and accessories
It is recommended to wear comfortable t-shirts, pants, and shoes. Clothes covering full arms and legs are recommended as they are mandatory to enter some of the religious places. During winters, it is also recommended to carry a warm jacket and hand gloves.
Avoid bringing heavy backpacks, camera bags, expensive clothes, and accessories on this tour. Avoid slippers or sandals and loose outfits as it may hinder the walking experience since the roads may not be even or smooth and clean.
- It is important to contact (call or WhatsApp) your tour leader 5 min before the tour starts if you cannot locate the assemble place. If in case you are going to be late to reach the assemble place, please contact your tour leader immediately
- Please check the assemble place of your tour carefully. Some of our tours do not start at our hostel. In case you are staying at the hostel, you must gather in the common area at least 20 min before the tour starts so that we can arrange the transportation to the assemble place
- Please be informed that since some of the tours don’t start from our hostel or may have external dependencies such as cab vendors, there may arise the chances of the tour starting late. We usually take a buffer of 15 minutes and catch up for the loss of time in such cases during the tour
- Tours in other languages may be offered upon request
- Adult pricing applies to all travelers
- Recommended not to bring anything heavy with you for a smoother and enjoyable tour. However, you may bring your phones, pocket cameras and some money (in case you would like to buy something on the way)
- Recommended to leave all other personal belongings at your current place of stay
- Operates in all weather conditions except rains. If canceled due to poor weather, you will be given the option of an alternative date or full refund
- Please note that the street food and meals may not conform to recommended national or international standards of hygiene
- Please advise any specific requirements at the time of booking. eg, allergies in food items, etc.
- Recommended to use the toilets before joining for the tour
- Required to accept the conditions mentioned in the WAIVER AND RELEASE OF CLAIM page
All our tours are undertaken on the responsibility of its participants. City On Pedals does not assume any responsibility for accidents that are caused by its customers or can be traced to their own actions. Participants have to agree to the terms mentioned in our WAIVER AND RELEASE OF CLAIMS page before undertaking all trips which means that they realize that all activities carry an inherent risk.