Our classic, easy-paced guided tour through an ancient palace, heritage streets, narrow bylanes and some of the oldest neighborhoods deep inside the walled city of Amritsar which are best explored on foot or our bicycles. Ride through the narrow winding streets with squares, buildings with domes and chattri that is indicative of the influence of Islamic architecture and Rajputana style. Explore some of the lesser known hidden gems of the city with old temples, akharas, and, arguably, the first ever Amritsar Shopping Mall before malls became cool. Taste & learn the traditional ways of preparing some of Amritsar’s most popular breakfast items, street food, and sweets.
Daily, 14th Mar – 16th Oct
Approx on bicycle
- Company Garden - Summer Palace of Maharaja Ranjit Singh
- Khairuddin Mosque
- Town Hall aka Partition Museum
- Baba Bohar
- Qila Ahluwalia – an ancient fortess and a shopping district
- English speaking guide as tour leader
- Quality bicycles and required safety gears - vest and helmet
- Local street food tasting
- Traditional breakfast
- Sharing of pictures taken by tour leaders
What to expectWe will meet at the common assembly point at City On Pedals Backpackers Hostel in Rani Ka Bagh 10 min before the start time. We will start our tour once all the guests have joined. After basic instructions and introduction from our tour leader, we will start the bike ride and will go off to explore the city of Amritsar.
We will ride on the streets of Amritsar city and move towards the Summer Palace of Maharaja Ranjit Singh - built during his rule in Amritsar, Punjab and further will lead a direct path towards Golden Temple. We will have our morning tea at the most famous and oldest shop, Giani Tea stall which serves the best tea in Amritsar since 1955. Riding forward towards the old city of Amritsar, we will visit one of the oldest mosque, Jama Masjid Khairrudin Mosque, which has great relevance in the history of independence in 1947. Moving on, we will look around the Town Hall building which was established by the British now called the Partition Museum since 2016.
Following our path to the narrow lanes and by-lanes of the city, we will explore some of the hidden gems like Darshani Deori, which used to give the first glance of Golden Temple in older days from around 100m and will see the beautiful limestone paintings, and along with that we will witness an incredible banyan tree growing through 3 different buildings followed by some of the amazing Amritsari food and Desserts.
Moving forward, we will visit the oldest Shiva Temple of Amritsar and will see the Mud Wrestling Arena, where a lot of known wrestlers used to practice in back days. By that time, we will be served the traditional Amritsari breakfast, Kulcha with fillings of potatoes and other vegetables served with hot chickpeas and tamarind sauce(chutney).
Riding through the main markets of Amritsar, we will see a lot of old houses and buildings constructed before the British times and will see a blend of the architecture of 3 different eras with old Jharokhas, wooden carvings, brick carvings, hand made paintings and other beautiful frameworks of past centuries. Along with that, we will enter the fort of one of the Kings of Amritsar, Jassa Singh Ahluwalia, where we will see the old market place, brass ceiling, huge wooden doors, old terrace with city view and a dried community well.
Lastly, we will visit the Saragarhi Memorial, which was built by the British for the Sikh Regiment in the British Indian Army and will know about the heroic story of Saragarhi War in 1897.
Before ending the tour, we will stop at a famous Lassi shop, Gian Di Lassi which is around 98 years old shop, giving the authentic taste of sugary yogurt shake.
Finally, we will be riding back to the starting point, City On Pedals Backpackers Hostel, giving an end to this memorable journey on bicycles.
A bicycle rickshaw (max 2 participants) or an e-rickshaw (max 4 participants) with a puller can be arranged on request at an additional price of ₹ 650 per rickshaw.
Please note that this may slow down the whole tour.
Groups with children below age 12 would not be allowed to ride a bicycle and would have to opt-in for the rickshaw.
Private/Custom tour option
This tour is also available for reservation as a private or custom tour over bicycles or rickshaws or a combination of both with a similar or modified itinerary, desired start time and duration. Contact us directly with your requirements.
We take safety seriously. Our quality bicycles are regularly checked, well-maintained, comfortable and carefully chosen for riding in Amritsar. Our tried and tested routes are designed to avoid high-traffic lanes and our tour moves at a comfortable pace so that everyone can enjoy the whole experience.
Guest must be able to ride a bicycle. No training is provided except how to control brakes & gears.
Clothes and accessories
It is recommended to wear comfortable t-shirts, pants, and shoes. Clothes covering full arms and legs are recommended as they are mandatory to enter some of the religious places. During winters, it is also recommended to carry a warm jacket and hand gloves.
Avoid bringing heavy backpacks, camera bags, expensive clothes, and accessories on this tour. Avoid slippers or sandals and loose outfits which may be unsuitable for riding a bicycle.
- It is important to contact (call or WhatsApp) your tour leader 5 min before the tour starts if you cannot locate the assemble place. If in case you are going to be late to reach the assemble place, please contact your tour leader immediately
- Please check the assemble place of your tour carefully. Some of our tours do not start at our hostel. In case you are staying at the hostel, you must gather in the common area at least 20 min before the tour starts so that we can arrange the transportation to the assemble place
- Please be informed that since some of the tours don’t start from our hostel or may have external dependencies such as cab vendors, there may arise the chances of the tour starting late. We usually take a buffer of 15 minutes and catch up for the loss of time in such cases during the tour
- Tours in other languages may be offered upon request
- Adult pricing applies to all travelers
- Recommended not to bring anything heavy with you for a smoother and enjoyable tour. However, you may bring your phones, pocket cameras and some money (in case you would like to buy something on the way)
- Recommended to leave all other personal belongings at your current place of stay
- Operates in all weather conditions except rains. If canceled due to poor weather, you will be given the option of an alternative date or full refund
- Please note that the street food and meals may not conform to recommended national or international standards of hygiene
- Please advise any specific requirements at the time of booking. eg, allergies in food items, etc.
- Recommended to use the toilets before joining for the tour
- Required to accept the conditions mentioned in the WAIVER AND RELEASE OF CLAIM page
Here is what travelers have to say about this tour
All our tours are undertaken on the responsibility of its participants. City On Pedals does not assume any responsibility for accidents that are caused by its customers or can be traced to their own actions. Participants have to agree to the terms mentioned in our WAIVER AND RELEASE OF CLAIMS page before undertaking all trips which means that they realize that all activities carry an inherent risk.