Witness the blissful book opening or closing ceremony, aka the Palki Sahib Ceremony and get backstage access to the world’s largest community kitchen with our slow-paced guided walking tour inside the Golden Temple. Our expert and knowledgeable tour leader will navigate you through the crowd and ensure you're in the right place at the right time to experience the scheduled ceremonies, events and activities inside the holy shrine. Perform volunteer work and understand in detail the intriguing reasons behind customs like submitting shoes, cleaning hands and feet and covering the head before entering a gurdwara while learning about the various Sikh customs like wearing a turban and carrying a sword. Get know about the fascinating story of the healing powers of the undefiled Sarovar and the history behind Miri-Piri, the mighty swords. Although extremely popular amongst solo travelers, couples, and groups, the tour is also highly favored by the Sikh expat families who are looking forward to bringing their children closer to the rich values of the Sikh religion.
Daily, 14th Mar – 16th Oct
Also, 9:00 pm daily - all year, except major holidays
Approx by walk
- The Holy Book Opening/Closing Ceremony, aka Golden Palki Sahib Ceremony
- Backstage access to the world’s biggest community kitchen and the Langar Hall
- Witnessing and performing volunteer work such as food making and dishes cleaning
- Sri Akal Takht Sahib, Parikarma (encircling walkway), Watch Towers of Ramgarhia Bunga, Dukh Bhanjani Ber, the Ath Sath Tirath (68 holy places), Ber Buddha Ji
- Main entrance, clock tower and the holy sarovar (Pool of Nectar)
- English speaking guide as tour leader
- History overview and explanation of interesting sites inside the temple
- Sharing of pictures taken by tour leaders (within 4 weeks over a shared dropbox folder)
- Goods and Services Tax (GST) at 5%
What to expectWe will start our tour from the common assembly point at the entrance of the Saragarhi Sarai and then will walk all around heritage street to the Golden Temple. We reach to the clock tower side of the Golden Temple and deposit our shoes. After entering from the Northern side of the Golden Temple, we see the first glance of the temple while getting down from the stairs. Then we move towards the right and see the Ber Baba Budha Ji which belongs to the first head priest of the Golden Temple.
After this, we head towards the bridge of the temple to get inside the holy shrine to pay our homage. We walk down the bridge towards the sanctum and see the inner beauty of the holy shrine, the gold plated walls with carvings on the gold, beautiful limestone paintings enhancing the architectural value of Golden Temple. After visiting the Golden Temple, we walk down again on the bridge towards the main square and take Holy pudding as a token of blessing.
From there we move towards Akal Takht, The Throne of God, opposite to the Golden Temple. This is the place where the holy book is kept in the night time on a daily basis. Then we sit at a convenient place to look at the holy ceremony of the religious book.
At this place, the tour guide will explain the history of the Golden Temple and Sikh religion before starting of the opening ceremony. Before the morning ceremony, the devotees bring a golden carriage and decorate it with the flowers and scent to place the holy book. After this, the head priest of the holy shrine brings the holy book out from Akal Takht by placing it over his head and then placing it inside the golden carriage. During this whole procession, there is the sound of drumbeat, trumpet, rose petal showers and people chanting holy hymns all around.
After the ceremony, we move towards the Gurdwara that belongs to one of the greatest warrior and martyr who sacrificed his life in a war for the freedom of the Golden Temple from the invaders. On the way, we also see the Dukh Bhanjani Ber (sorrow healer tree) the reason behind the digging of the holy pond.
From here, we move toward the community kitchen which is meant to be the largest kitchen in the world where food for almost 100,000 people from all around the world is prepared for free. While moving through the kitchen we witness the chefs preparing the food like lentils, puddings, bread, vegetables, and tea. Going through different parts of the kitchen we move to the second floor of the kitchen and see the bread making machine, which makes 6000 pieces of bread in one hour.
With this journey through the kitchen, we come to the end of this serene, calm, peaceful and mesmerizing morning at Golden Temple.
Private/Custom tour option
This tour is also available for reservation as a private or custom tour with a similar or modified itinerary, desired start time and duration. Contact us directly with your requirements.
Clothes and accessories
It is recommended to wear comfortable t-shirts, pants, and shoes. Clothes covering full arms and legs are recommended as they are mandatory to enter some of the religious places. During winters, it is also recommended to carry a warm jacket and hand gloves.
Avoid bringing heavy backpacks, camera bags, expensive clothes, and accessories on this tour. Avoid slippers or sandals and loose outfits as it may hinder the walking experience since the roads may not be even or smooth and clean.
- It is important to contact (call or WhatsApp) your tour leader 5 min before the tour starts if you cannot locate the assemble place. If in case you are going to be late to reach the assemble place, please contact your tour leader immediately
- Please check the assemble place of your tour carefully. Some of our tours do not start at our hostel. In case you are staying at the hostel, you must gather in the common area at least 20 min before the tour starts so that we can arrange the transportation to the assemble place
- Please be informed that since some of the tours don’t start from our hostel or may have external dependencies such as cab vendors, there may arise the chances of the tour starting late. We usually take a buffer of 15 minutes and catch up for the loss of time in such cases during the tour
- Tours in other languages may be offered upon request
- Adult pricing applies to all travelers
- Recommended not to bring anything heavy with you for a smoother and enjoyable tour. However, you may bring your phones, pocket cameras and some money (in case you would like to buy something on the way)
- Recommended to leave all other personal belongings at your current place of stay
- Operates in all weather conditions except rains. If canceled due to poor weather, you will be given the option of an alternative date or full refund
- Please note that the street food and meals may not conform to recommended national or international standards of hygiene
- Please advise any specific requirements at the time of booking. eg, allergies in food items, etc.
- Recommended to use the toilets before joining for the tour
- Required to accept the conditions mentioned in the WAIVER AND RELEASE OF CLAIM page
All our tours are undertaken on the responsibility of its participants. City On Pedals does not assume any responsibility for accidents that are caused by its customers or can be traced to their own actions. Participants have to agree to the terms mentioned in our WAIVER AND RELEASE OF CLAIMS page before undertaking all trips which means that they realize that all activities carry an inherent risk.